1993 Jaipur Blast: Two blast accused jailed

A Pakistan-trained militant was on Tuesday sentenced to 20 years in jail, while his accomplice awarded 15-year prison term for triggering the 1993 serial blasts in Jaipur. A special anti-terror court, while sentencing the duo, Abrer Rehmat alias Kari and his accomplice Jalis Ansari, also imposed a fine of Rs 13,500 and 11,000 respectively on them. The Jaipur Special TADA court of Kamal Kumar Bagdi sentenced the duo after convicting them for various offences under the now repealed anti-terror law, Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA). They were also convicted under various sections of the Explosive Substances Act.
A teenager had been injured after three low-intensity bombs kept in tiffin boxes went off in Jaipur's Walled City area on Sep 30, 1993. "First information reports regarding the blasts had been registered with three police stations in Jaipur. The case was being investigated by Rajasthan police's Central Investigation Department. The police had later arrested Jalees Ansari, Abrar Rehmat Ansari, Jamal Alvi and Dr Habib Ahmed," said special public prosecutor Bhagirath Shekhawat. He added that police had filed a chargesheet against the four accused. The advocate said that it came up during investigation that the blasts in Jaipur had been planned in retaliation to the Babri Masjid demolition in Ayodhya in 1992. "The court has sentenced Jalees Ansari, Abrar Rehmat Ansari to 15 and 20 years of imprisonment respectively, while Jamal Alvi and Dr Habib Ahmed have been released," said Shekhawat.