Lt Archit Verdia cremated with full honour

Lieutenant Archit Verdia(23) from Udaipur who died in a fire at an army camp located in Siachen glacier on July 21 cremated with full honour. The mortal remains of the city lad was consigned to flames with full civil and military honours. The city came into standstill to honour Verdia's sacrifice on the world highest "battle ground". The funeral procession started at 10 am from his home at Goverdhan Villas to the cremation ground at Rani Road. The inconsolable family members, relatives , friends and thousands of citizens joined the procession. The funeral procession of the martyr which started today at 9:00 AM, from his residence at Machhla Magra Scheme was attended by 35 army officers, 300 Army jawans with cadets of NCC and students of various schools including The Study, Noble International, Guru Nanak public school and Alok school. One thing that was common in the eyes of these people was a sense of pride that the lieutenant gave them by sacrificing his life for the nation. As the procession started progressing towards the cremation ground, passing through the cardinal points of the city, it was joined in by masses which were eager to give their tributes to the lieutenant. They carried placards and flags with his picture on them. Army personnel fired a volley of shots in the air while bidding farewell to their colleague . The entire city was echoed with slogans 'Archit Amar Rahe' throughout the funeral procession as the people bid tearful adieu to Verdia.
Verdia joined the Officers Training Academy for one year in Chennai in 2009 and was commissioned to Indian Army in March, 2010. Soon after completion of training , he was posted in Kashmir as lieutenant in with the 175 Medium Regiment and deputed to Siachen on March 15. He died saving his seniors and other soldiers who were trapped in a bunker engulfed by a fire. Verdia showed the highest degree of courage and jumped inside the bunker the save his officers. In a bid to save others' life, he died on the spot due to suffocation and burn injuries. His body flown in from Jammu on July 26 after DNA test and other formalities were conducted by the army.